Gardening Assistance in Broomfield
Local Resources and Services
- Ask a Colorado Master Gardener – During the growing season (April through October), Broomfield Master Gardeners answer questions at the CSU Extension Office and at other convenient locations. View the Horticulture calendar here.
- Colorado Master Gardener Helpline – Trained volunteers are available to assist Broomfield residents year round. Leave a message for a Broomfield Master Gardener at 303-464-5554, send an email (with photos!) to BroomfieldMG@colostate.edu, or complete this interactive form.
- Xeriscape Demonstration Garden – The Broomfield Master Gardeners designed and maintain a Xeriscape demonstration garden located east of Broomfield’s City and County Building parking lot. The garden gives residents the opportunity to see and identify Xeriscape options in a natural setting.
- Vegetable Teaching Garden – Brunner Farmhouse and Gardens is home to perennial beds on the south side of the historic building, and a raised-bed vegetable garden on the north. CSU Extension holds hands-on workshops at the vegetable teaching garden, but visitors are welcome to stop by anytime to observe the techniques used there, including drip irrigation, trellising, and composting.
- Diagnostic Site Visits – For a $75 fee, a CSU Extension Horticulture Agent will provide an on-site consultation for homeowners within the City and County of Broomfield. For more information or to schedule a visit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-887-2294.
CSU Soil Testing
The CSU Soil, Water and Plant Testing Lab in Fort Collins offers year-round soil testing. It’s a great way to check the quality of soil in your yard and learn to improve it. To use the service, gardeners must:
- Complete the fillable horticulture soil sample submittal form
- Collect a composite soil sample from the test area (detailed instructions are on the website)
- Mail the form and soil sample to: Soil, Water, and Plant Testing Lab, Attn: Wilma Trujillo, 1120 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins CO 80523-1120
The cost of a routine garden and landscape soil test is $35. Containers and instructions are available just outside the CSU Extension office in the Broomfield Library, but residents must mail samples to the lab in Fort Collins for analysis. Visit the CSU Soil Testing Lab website for more information.
Master Gardener Program
In Broomfield County, a dedicated group of 30 Colorado Master Gardener Volunteers bring a variety of projects to life. The majority of projects include one-to-one consultation with Broomfield County residents, but they also include special events, community gardening projects and other educational activities. Learn more about the Colorado Master Gardeners program in Broomfield County and how to join…